Brooklyn: Museum of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts & Sciences, 1912. First Edition. Original boards. 8vo. xxiii, 72 pp. Illustrations. Brown cloth with gilt lettering to front cover & spine; color plate mounted on front cover; TEG. Ex-libris (blind stamp of Brooklyn Institute of Arts & Scineces; small ink number; remnant of small paper label to lower spine). Light wear; minor foxing to front plate else a near fine copy. Item #18729
An important catalogue of Samuel P. Avery's collection of 145 pieces of ancient Chinese Cloisonnes. It is the most remarkable collection, on public exhibition, in the Western world, as regards the quality, number, and average size of the exhibits. Avery (1822–1904) was an American connoisseur and dealer in art. He was a founder, and for a long time, a trustee, of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and a life member of important scientific, artistic and educational associations. He founded the Avery Architectural Library at Columbia University in memory of his son Henry Ogden Avery, an architect of note, who died in 1890. In 1900 he donated his collection of 17,775 etchings and lithographs to the New York Public Library.