(California?): Publisher not identified, ca. 1887. The date of Circa 1887 was determined partially by the type fonts and stye of printing plus the last date mentioned was 1885-6 when Mr. H. H. Bancroft purchased 500 acres around the site and began developing them. This pamphlet refers to “Railroads now are being built or are projected in and around Spring Valley” which were completed around 1888 also dating the pamphlet at around 1887. 8vo. 6,  pp. Pink wrappers string tied. Fine condition of an uncommon work. Item #21634
Spring Valley is named for the natural spring located there. It was long the home of the Kumeyaay people, who called it Neti or Meti. Spanish conquerors drove off the natives and used the area for cattle, calling it El aguaje de San Jorge (St. George's Spring). In 1863 Judge Augustus S. Ensworth of San Diego filed a claim for a 160-acre ranch that included the spring. The ranch, and the small adobe house he built there, were sold to Rufus King Porter and later to historian Hubert Howe Bancroft in 1885-6. The adobe is now a National Historic Landmark. Hubert Howe Bancroft finally moved to Spring Valley in 1887. He purchased the Smith Campbell, Charles Crosby, and Burbeck ranches, giving him 515 acres that he named Helix Farms. He spent a lot of money improving the property. The railroad was completed in 1888 and was Spring Valley’s first rail connection.